Cookies and this website

This website uses cookies to give you the best online experience. If you'd like to know more please read our cookie policy

Skip to content

General Questions

Types of Tenancies?

Swindon Borough Council

A Council home tenancy agreement is a legal contract between a Council tenant and Swindon Borough Council. It sets out the terms and conditions to which both tenants and the Council must keep. As from January 2015, the types of tenancies that you may be offered, depending on your circumstances, are set out below:

  • Introductory Tenancy of 12 months followed by a flexible tenancy of 5 years. (This is a fixed term tenancy offered to new, general needs, tenants who do not have dependent children)
  • Introductory Tenancy of 12 months followed by a flexible tenancy of 10 years. (This is a fixed term tenancy offered to new, general needs, tenants who have dependent children)
  • Introductory Tenancy of 12 months followed by a secure tenancy. (Offered to all new sheltered housing tenants)
  • Secure Tenancy (Offered to current secure and assured tenants who are undertaking a transfer or mutual exchange)

To view the guide click here

To view a copy of the different types of tenancy agreement click here

Animals / Pets in Swindon Borough Council Property

Please be advised that the rules around pets have been updated as part of the new flexible tenancy. Please see the tenancy agreement for the full clauses, however additional information about dogs and cats can be seen below: -

  • No dogs or cats are permitted unless your flat has been designated to allow a dog or cat. The only exception is to keep a dog which will help you overcome a disability. If you live in a high rise flat you are not permitted to keep a dog or cat under any circumstances.
  • You are permitted, without asking our permission, to keep one dog or one cat or one of each if you live in a house, or designated bungalow or designated flat that has direct access to a garden that is for your use only. If you live in a bungalow with shared access to a communal garden you are also permitted to keep one cat without asking our permission. You must ask permission if you wish to keep more dogs or cats than the permitted number.
Housing Associations
  • Starter Tenancy
  • A housing association will give you a starter tenancy on a 12-month period at the beginning of your tenancy and it is converted to a full Assured Tenancy provided your tenancy has been conducted satisfactorily.
  • Assured Tenancy
  • This type of tenancy agreement is usually issued by a housing trust or housing association. They offer some security in that as long as you do not breach the terms of the tenancy agreement you may continue to live in the property.

For more information please visit the individual Housing Association through the 'Partners' page

What is direct matching?

In some cases a property is not advertised as it has to be directly matched to an applicant. These are emergency cases or sometimes adapted properties.

I'm going to be homeless tonight and need help?

If you are homeless tonight or threatened with homelessness in the next 7 days, please contact The Housing Options Team on 01793 445503, email or visit The Council's Reception at Wat Tyler House, Beckhampton Street, Swindon SN1 2JH

Are the properties furnished? Are carpets and appliances provided?

No, however in exceptional circumstances we may offer new tenants a furniture referral from charitable organisations (2nd hand), up to the maximum of £320. Please discuss this with the Lettings Officer at the viewing. Sheltered Housing Schemes, may supply some of these items.

How long will I have to wait to get a property?

It is difficult to quote a waiting time as this will depend on the interest we have in properties from applicants who are bidding and it will also depend on the number of vacancies we have. Please refer to the statistics that can be found on the Housing Register Waiting List page of this website.

How will I know what has happened to the properties advertised?

To see the statistics of properties that have been let, click here . You can find the information under the date that the property was originally advertised. Additionally this will provide you with a better idea of how popular a particular property type or area is, and how long you would normally have to wait. You can then decide whether to look for other types of property or areas where you may not have to wait as long.

I have received a review form/change of address letter. What happens if I do not return it?

If we have written to you asking for information to update your application details we require a response within 15 working days. Failure to do so will result in your application being cancelled.

Other Housing Options You May Like To Consider

What alternative options do I have? View your options