Cookies and this website

This website uses cookies to give you the best online experience. If you'd like to know more please read our cookie policy

Skip to content

Who can apply

Who can apply?

Anyone over the age of 18 who has resided in the Borough of Swindon for the last 2 years,

or have close relatives who have lived in the Borough for two years or more. (Parents, adult children,grandparents or siblings)

or be employed in the Borough for more than 24 hours a week

or be a member of the Armed Forces or previously served in the Forces in the last 5 years


We will consider applications from other family members (other than the relationships stated above) if support is provided to a vulnerable family member.


You must also be:

 a British Citizen or be granted leave to remain in the UK

 and be habitually resident in the UK (this excludes those serving in the Armed Forces)

 and in a reasonable preference group (Section 4 of the policy) or meet our Housing Needs Banding Criteria (Section 5 of the Allocation policy) (excludes those serving in the Armed Forces)

I'm a home owner over 60 can I apply for social housing?

Yes, but you will only be eligible for sheltered flats as you are classed as being adequately housed as you own your home.

Why are homeowners only eligible for Sheltered accommodation?

You will only be considered for sheltered accommodation as you have other housing options available to Sell your home and buy something more suitable for your needs or rent privately.

What social housing options are available to older people?

  1. Sheltered scheme (group dwelling) for people aged 60 or over. Applicants under 60 should be in housing need, age 50 or over and in receipt of Disability Living Allowance or PIP.
  2. Bungalow for people aged 60 or over (no home owners will be considered); all applicants should be in housing need and in receipt of Disability Living Allowance at high-rate for mobility, or enhanced PIP.
  3. A flat with the Homeline service installed for applicants over 50, who are in housing need or applicants on DLA/PIP with a recognised medical or welfare requirement.

Do you provide supported housing for people with Learning Disabilities?

Yes, you will need to have a housing need in line with the Council's Allocations policy.  You will also need to provide proof of your need for this type of accommodation.